Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Crafty Corner: Oooh, that's HOT!

So last week, one of my little toddler friends was playing in the kitchen area...cooking oodles of plastic food on the fake ikea stovetop. I can tell you that is was delicious because she offered me several 'bites'. A few minutes later, I was engaged in play in a different area with other friends and looked back over to see how she was doing. Still cooking, she had found 2 little fabric bags (from the baby zone...intended as mini sleeping bags for the baby dolls) and put them on her hands like oven mitts.

It was at that point that I realized the incompleteness of our kitchen set...how is a child expected to cook without the proper protective equipment?? And why did it take me this long to add oven mitts to the party? Also, that kid is wicked smart and quite resourceful...sleeping bags for oven mits. Hilarious and genius.

Although her plan was amazing, my inner crafter could not allow such things to continue another day. I traced her hand right that second and vowed to bring her some new mitts by morning:

Got the pattern, some fabric, sewing machine, go:

The next morning, I took out the mitts to show my budding chefs...and the room was all aflutter. Everyone wanted to use a set...I should have made more. Easy little project = hours of cooking fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment