Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Toddler Talk: Color Tubes

I scored some awesome and super sturdy paper towel tubes from my custodian at church a little while ago. The kind that a toddler can't crush or destroy in 2 seconds flat (which they somehow manage to figure out how to do with most things eventually....bless those curious little minds and hands!)

Anyway, I have like 35 if them so I used a few to make 'Color Tubes':

Pretty simple little project. I printed out different photos of things in each color and glue sticked them to the tube. Then (as mentioned before how toddlers like to wreck stuff) I wrapped around the tubes with packing tape to protect the pictures. Because, although looking at cool pictures and talking about what color they are is fun and exciting, I have a feeling that peeling them all off would be way more enjoyable (for them, not me).

I put them in the classroom without telling the kids they were there and waited for the discovery. Right away, they were a big hit....everyone wanted a turn to check them out! Some used them as a telescope, some as a trumpet and some even discovered that they fit nicely on their arms and they could pretend to be a goofy robot!

If you don't have access to your own church custodian with cool indestructible tubes, you could stop at a local package shipping store and purchase a few shipping tubes...cut them to size and create away! It could also be a fun project to work on together...cut out pictures from magazines and make different themed tubes (animals, counting, nature, etc), work together to glue stick them on (then protect with packing tape) and Presto....fun learning toy!

Update (Oct. 9): I finished a few more color tubes today...needed to round out the color palate:

No comments:

Post a Comment