Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sequins & Sofas: Pack Your Bags, Part 2

Ok....to continue with my packing extravaganza, the first thing that I like to start with is a list (or 2...or let's be really honest, 3. I like to make lists):

Since I am working with a very limited amount of space and will need many days worth of clothes, it is essential to plan a specific outfit for each day....wearing the same outfit on travel days to and from my destination. Obviously, I am not stuck to wearing what I wrote down for any specific day....but at least I know I have enough outfits for all the days I am gone and can choose from my 'mini-closet' based on the day's events to come.

Now it's time to get packin'! I line the bottom of my carry on with undergarments, pants folded in half, and 2 pairs of flat shoes....all squished down as much as I can.

Next, all other clothing items (dresses, sweaters, etc) get rolled up and tucked in tight next to eachother:

Sweet! I totally got everything in that I planned for....and look:

That's right...room to spare! I add an extra shirt for good measure. But let's not get crazy- I still have to fit in a few more important items:

I have space for 1 bag of all my toiletries and another smaller bag for makeup. It's important to only take what I need here as well...so another list is written and all extraneous items are left by the wayside:

I don't forget to set all 3oz liquid bottles to the side....those will go in a ziplock and get tossed into my purse (a big ol' purse, cause I can):

And finally, I downsize my wallet taking only the necessities (ID, credit cards, medical cards and cash):

Victory! Everything I was hoping to pack fit delightfully into my little carry on....just had to pack smart and purposefully. Vacation, here I come! I hope my adventure in packing will come in handy on your next trip to Somewhere, USA! You can bring all that you need (plus a little more) without having to check a bag, go for it and happy travels:)

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Dharma. I actually went to Europe with Sheldon with only a carry-on. We listened to Rick Steves a lot and I felt very comfortable and fairly stylish during our whole 3-week trip.It's a little harder if you're going to be with people you know, 'cause no one in Italy or Germany knew if we wore the same outfit over and over and lots of our sweet hotel hosts washed our clothes for us...nice. Only lost one pair of underwear! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete