Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sequins & Sofas: Timeless Beauty

I want to share with you an amazing talent of a woman named Bertha Eleanor Murphy (she was known by most as Bunny). A close family friend from Duluth, I remember as a child her visits to Nana and Papa's house and seeing her at various family functions. From my memory, she was a kind and quiet person, always asked us kids what was going on in our lives and she smelled good (kids memories, right). I honestly didn't know much more about her life at the time other than she lived down the street and she was a sweet lady.

This fall, Bunny passed away and I then learned about her amazing gift. She was an artist. She captured the essence of a sophisticated woman through her drawings....drawings that were purchased by companies who wanted to sell their merchandise. Her hand drawn masterpieces were sent to the printers to be duplicated for the local papers...enticing the ladies of the era to daydream about owning a new fur coat or trying a new lotion sure to preserve the skin of their youth.

I wish I had known as a child about her passion for art and fashion, it would have been such fun to show her my 'drawings' and learn about her experience. In my mind, I was for sure going to be a famous fashion designer someday, really famous:

Ok, maybe not. Either way, I am so thankful that I did learn about her life's work in time...and last month I was lucky enough to be given a few of her original sketches! They are beautiful, just beautiful. And I am honored to have the opportunity to display them for the world to see:

Thank you Bunny for sharing your gift. You were a true talent and a lovely lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment