Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Crafty Corner: What's your Sign??

I was home visiting my parents this past weekend and had a chance to do a little project with my daddy.

I had seen a cool wall art thingy on 'Apartment Therapy' a bunch of months ago...

My dad was in the basement doing some work on a new en-suite bathroom for the guest quarters...so I popped down to see if he had any supplies to help me with my little woodworking adventure.

'Hey Dad, do you happen to have any old wood boards down here that I could make this?'

He directed me to a lovely selection of well organized boards and doors that had been collected over the years. A few too big, some too new....then the perfect little tongue and groove 5 panel pantry door!

'Its a little too long, can we cut it down?'

He grabbed his circular saw and t-square and cut it to my exact specifications!

We found some thin metal brackets to secure to the back for stability (which he cut to size with a hacksaw) and added a picture hanger! Boom.

It was just as I had pictured it in my mind....better than the original website inspiration really. Here's the back:

The wood is well over 100 years old...perfectly imperfect. I chose a phrase to paint on the front, traced it out on paper to get the spacing right, and carefully painted my letters to finish the job. So happy with the final product and I can't wait to hang it up...thanks daddy!

1 comment:

  1. Dharma, this is awesome and beautiful! I love it!

    -Daisy L.

    ReplyDelete