Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sequins & Sofas: Stripe Central

I for sure have tunnel vision at this moment in time....all things house. So the next few weeks will most likely continue to be focused on just that. Plans and projects I am thinking about as they come together....so, here we go.

I painted my bedroom pink. Yep, like melted strawberry ice cream pink...with plans to add a wide vertical stripe pattern using a whitewash. My Auntie S has a similar design going on in her room and I have always loved it...and now with an actual bedroom of my own (instead of a bed right smack in the middle of my little studio living room...which I truly loved but am so happy to be done with), I wanted something FANCY!

The plan- #1: Using Frog Tape (I live in Frogtown after all, nothing else seemed appropriate) to mark off all the lines, I measured out 1 foot segments all around the room.

Things I learned: Using the weight of the tape roll itself was quite effective in creating straight lines down to the floor. I just let it hang down the wall and waited for it to be straight. This was in place of a plumb line (which most decorating websites suggested). Although as the tape roll got smaller, the weight was less...so...I just made it work.

#2: Measuring- A tape measure and light pencil marks worked just fine.

Things I learned: Make sure that you are keeping in mind that the painted section will be 1 foot exactly, and the non-painted part will look smaller...since the tape will take up space on either side of it. Ya know, so that part is protected from paint and when you take it off, all the stripes are equal. I know, not rocket science, but there you go.

Make sure to press down the tape very well after you place it on the wall. No one wants paint seeping through raised tape lines. No one.

I also added a little piece of tape to each part I wasn't going to paint to remind myself of the pattern. Again, duh...but after a few hours of painting, one stripe becomes the next and things could get a little crazy.

#3: The Whitewash- I did a little search on whitewash 'recipes' and found the most common to be 2 parts paint and 1 part water. I gave it a go and used a roller to paint on the first coat.

Things I learned: Don't freak out if it looks all blotchy and roller-y the first time around. Just get a even coat and keep going. Once I got all the way around the room with the initial coat, I wasn't totally satisfied with the look...but I didn't want to do another coat with the same mix in fear that it would become too opaque. So I mixed up a second batch and diluted it more...like 1 to 1. That final pass over made it all come together and even things out. Not sure if the design websites would agree or not, but it worked for me.

A pic of a stripe...you can still see the tape through the whitewash and a little pink coming through the paint as well...that was the goal.

#4: Let it dry- I gave it a little time to set up and then went to town with my favorite part of the whole day. Removing the tape! What a satisfying experience that was...with the peeling of each piece revealing the masterpiece below, and it was awesome! Just what I was hoping for:

With the addition of some very lacy white curtains, a new white lampshade and desk accessories, a soft white chenille rug (scheduled to arrive today, I can't wait) and a few other tidbits, my girlie (and very fancy) room is just about done! If only I had a chandelier....hmmmm, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment