Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stylin' Saturday: Legally Blonde

I have been a natural blonde since day one....see exhibit A:

Sadly, as the years rolled on, my sun-kissed white/blonde hair became less than sunny. Dishwater blonde I think they call it. I have a few problems with this: First, I hate doing dishes more than anything so why would I want my hair color to remind me of said chore...and second, well, I just want to be blonde. Blonde-blonde.

Thankfully, I have had a few ladies in my life to help me make this dream come true. My dear Jenny who painted my locks for a good 10 years before moving to Cali (miss you) and now sister Tara who took the reigns upon her departure (TT is a Master Stylist at a salon in Maple Grove, if you are looking for an uber-talented hairstylist...).

Anyhoo, TT has a great system for giving me the look I so desire....lots of foils...I think 26 on the top to be exact!


After some experimentation, we found that foiling smaller sections of hair closer together and concentrating on the top would make for a more 'natural' look....maybe even allow me to pretend that this was my original color from the days of old!

I really love the result and it grows out quite nicely...I hate when regrowth comes back with a dishwater stripe down the middle of my head. No thanks!
Re-blonding my hair every 2 months can cause a few problems if not attended to. I have had a little trouble with split ends and breakage and just got a great tip to some hair repair. After washing and towel drying, I add a nickel sized dot of conditioner back into my ends before blow drying. Then a smoothing serum before the flat iron. I think it's really helping protect my color treated hair (thanks Linda G.)!

I also heard that mixing 1 part olive oil to 3 parts natural honey makes for a good hair mask....leave in for 20 minutes and then wash (once a week). I haven't tried this one yet but fully intend to in the very near future!

So if you are thinking of going blonde, go for it! Make sure to keep it natural and protect those ends.....just because we are getting older doesn't mean that we can't achieve the color we had in the summer of 1980 when we were 2 and naturally sun-kissed!

No comments:

Post a Comment