Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Toddler Tuesday: Flags!

Lately, I have felt the need to add a boost of color to my classroom decor. What better way to jazz it up then to make a banner of flags to hang across the room.

Supplies needed: various colors of felt, a spool of ribbon, scissors and my trusty hot glue gun.

First step was to cut out my flags. Using a ruler as my guide, I ran a line from the bottom middle to each top corner- then cut along the lines. (make sure to save the pieces you cut off for decoration purposes later on in the project...) I did this for 12 pieces of felt to make a finished product of a 12 foot row of flags.

Next, I folded the top end of the flags over about an inch and cut 5 small slits spread evenly across (this will be for the ribbon to weave through a little later in the project).

Ok, great. I then measured out 12 feet of ribbon and got to weaving the ribbon through each flag. Oh, I should mention that I first decided what order the flags would be and piled them up.....all ready for weaving....

At each weaving of a flag, I used my glue gun to secure it into place before adding the next one. I glued under each ribbon piece, then folded the felt over the ribbon and added more glue to the inside of the fold to secure it.

I continued gluing each flag into place, measuring about 3 inches between flags....

Once the glue was dry, I cut off the triangle pieces of excess felt from folding the top over the ribbon.

When all 12 flags were done, I for sure needed to decorate them with some classic dots and stripes. Who doesn't love dots and stripes?? I took the color of the flag to the left and made that color the decoration for the flag next to it...all the way across. And alternating dots and stripes.....having order gives me joy.

Just one final step to hang these bad boys up in the classroom! You could add some fun flags to your toddler's world too....choose some colors that compliment their bedroom scheme or play space and work together to add some fun decorations....hang and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment