Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Crafty Corner: Home Sweet Home

Some pals of mine just bought their first home and moved in last weekend. There was a great crew of helpers to clean, mow lawns, sand/paint cabinets, wash floors, paint rooms and move furniture. 

My duty was to remove 30+ year old contact paper layers from cabinet shelves to be resurfaced with fresh, white lovely contact paper. Since doing stuff with contact paper is one of my for real favorite things (is that weird??), this job was right up my alley.

In the process of removal, this gem of a pattern was uncovered:

Magic, right? It's the perfect balance of awful and wonderful. Obviously, it all had to go. But I have a heart for nostalgia and for holding to the memories of the past.

I kept a little piece of the floral paper that many years ago was chosen by someone who enjoyed such a pattern (that, who knows, maybe matched their 1960's dishes just right). 

I wanted to create a little art piece for them using the paper as a background...to be a momento of the history of their home as they make it their own.

I searched on the internets to get a few inspirational ideas and settled on making a fridge magnet. Got a mini frame:

Drew a template of a house on cardstock:

Found a lovely Bible verse about a home:

Practiced writing said verse on a tracing of the house about a million times to get the spacing right:

Cut out and placed the flower paper down on the matte, taped the finished 'House with Verse' in the center and popped the frame together. Next, I hot glued some magnets to the back:

And tried it out on my metal cabinet to make sure it would stay put....phew! It worked:

I'm a big fan of finding ways to merge old with new. I like thinking about the life my own house has lived and the people who have called it a home before it became mine. I am excited for my friends as they begin their journey and hope this little piece will be a fun way to celebrate their home (past, present and future)!

No comments:

Post a Comment